As you all know, my intention this month has been on hydration, and in just 3 weeks I have already noticed a change in some of my habits.
A. I used to go to sleep dreaming about my 1st cup of coffee
B. Now, I wake up eager for my glass of salted, citrus water
A. I am used to having a glass of wine 5 out of 7 days of the week (don’t judge).
B. This last week, I only had a drink 3 out of the 7 days (and I didn’t miss it)- so, I might be ready for my February intention.
A. Drinking water used to be a ‘chore’
B. Now, it is just apart of everything, and even a little interesting.
This was a tough week as I have been
dealing with, NO battling, vertigo all week. I was in denial early on in the week, but after three days of dizziness and nausea (and a difficult 15k,) I decided to finally stop trying to WILL it away and get some help. One of the side-effects of vertigo is dehydration due to the constant nausea and sometimes being dehydrated can be a cause, so I made sure to be very intentional this past week with the food choices I was making because drinking a lot of water made my stomach very queasy. Here are just a few things I did to make this a bit easier and better for me…
- I intentionally packed soup and salad in my lunchbox every single day for a hydrating lunch
- took out some of the dehydrating foods from my diet (list is below)
- Premade my ‘Quench Your Thirst’ smoothie on Sunday for an easy snack throughout the week
- I purchased an $8 water carafe for my bedside table
- Added a humidifier to our bedroom (the heater was drying us out)
The top 15 hydrating foods one should add to your weekly diet…
- Green pepper
- Butternut Squash
I created 3 recipes this last week that added as much from this list as possiblequench your thirst smoothie
- green apple, cucumber, celery, coconut milk, spinach
- cauliflower, coconut milk, celery
- med salad and dressing
- spinach, cucumber, tomato
Top 10 dehydrating foods you should cut from your DAILY diet – These should be foods that are used with caution and in moderation.
- coffee – Use Coconut milk to cream your coffee
- alcohol – a great alternative is to add a tonic or sparkling water to whatever you are drinking
- asparagus – this is why it alters the smell of your urine
- soy sauce – great alternatives are Coconut aminos or liquid aminos because they have less sodium
- popcorn (this was one of the hardest for me to hear) – try air popcorn or Quinns sea salt Popcorn – stay away from the microwaveable buttered popcorn.
- fried foods
- sugary drinks (soda, diet soda, Gatorade, Capri-sun, JUICE)
Please, leave a comment and share this post if you find this information useful.